AREAS OF PRACTICE
Awg Ahmad Basuni is a Partner of the Firm and was its Managing Partner from 2007 to 2017. He heads the Litigation Department covering both criminal and civil matters and has been in practice for over 25 years.
Ahmad is recognised as market leading lawyer in Asialaw.
Ahmad is a Bruneian and was with His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan’s Government from August 1988 to March 1997 attached to the Attorney-General’s Chambers as Acting Senior Counsel (civil division) and Deputy Public Prosecutor (criminal division) and Deputy Registrar of Companies.
Ahmad is also experienced in commercial work, joint ventures, corporate, banking (both conventional banking and Islamic banking), conveyancing and criminal work. His Syariah based work includes: –
- advising a client on local laws and related matters concerning an Al-Ijarah Financing with Istisna contract for the manufacture and financing of a special purpose-built LNG vessel;
- acting as a local counsel for an overseas Islamic Offshore Bank in an Al- Ijarah Bit-Tamlik Financing for a hotel/apartment construction/ refinancing;
- acting as a local counsel for a semi-government company having interests in Saudi Arabia;
- the preparation of legal documents for banking, securities, operational, treasury of Development Bank of Brunei Berhad (conventional) (including trade financing documentation);
- the preparation of legal documents for the banking, securities, operational and treasury departments of Islamic Development Bank of Brunei Berhad (Syariah based);
- advising on the first 2 Sukuk Al-Ijara transactions in Brunei;
- drafting of the first Islamic based Inter-bank Placement of funds agreement; and
- advising and preparing legal opinions to banks (both conventional and Islamic) on various banking & finance issues.
He has also represented and defended high profile clients involved in corruption cases and other white-collar crimes. He was successful in gaining an acquittal in the first human trafficking case to be prosecuted in the Brunei High Court.
Ahmad’s other previous legal experience include the review, preparation and drafting of legal opinions on defence related agreements and joint venture agreements between international companies and the Government of Brunei. He also has experience advising and representing wholly Government owned companies and statutory bodies. Ahmad has represented the Attorney General’s Chambers in a broad range of matters including litigation, telecommunications and information technology and intellectual property.
- was the first President of the Law Society of Brunei Darussalam and a council member of the Law Society of Brunei Darussalam;
- is a member of the Islamic Laws Committee, Ministry of Religious Affairs;
- was a Council Member of the Motor Transport Licensing Authority of Brunei Darussalam;
- is a board member of the Brunei Darussalam Arbitration Centre;
- was a Council Member of the Post Graduate Diploma in Islamic Law, University Brunei Darussalam;
- was a member of the board of the Executive Committee for E-Business Programme of the Brunei Information Technology Council; and
- is a Commissioner for Oaths